Should EU settled status holders apply Shengen Visa

Schengen visa requirements for European countries

Moderator: NewEra

Jennifer
Site Admin

Should EU settled status holders apply Shengen Visa

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

EU settled status holders in UK and Schengen Visa

Well lately I am having a lot of questions from non-eu family members of eu/eea citizens who hold new eu settled status cards.
Should non-eu family member of eu/eea citizen apply for Schengen Visa?
YES! You new EU settled status card is not prepared according EU laws! It’s prepared by UK authorities according UK immigration laws. Therefore you are not entitled to free travel in schengen area or other EU countries with eu settled status card UK. I know you were traveling without visa with your spouse or partner before with your eu/eea family permit but once you have EU settled status card it make this option invalid. Now you have to apply for schengen visa no matter UK is still in EU or any transition period may extend it. Your settled status visa is not recognised by EU countries it’s not prepared according EU directives. It will only help you enter UK.
For more information I paste an answer I took from a schengen country embassy;

We have been informed about some difficulties that non-EU family members of EU citizens holding a residence document issued pursuant to the UK's Settled Status scheme <https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/not-EU-EEA-Swiss-citizen> are facing when travelling to another EU Member State.

We wish to inform you that residence documents issued under the UK's Settled Status scheme do not exempt you from the visa requirement, contrary to residence cards issued pursuant to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016, which enacts Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States (type of permit: family member – EU residence).

As a result, non-EU family members of EU citizens who are subject to a visa requirement and who only hold a residence document issued under the UK's Settled Status scheme must apply for an entry visa when travelling to another EU Member State.

So please be aware and take necessary actions (apply for visa). It’s still easier for non eu family members as schengen/eu countries don’t ask many documents and almost certainly they grant your visa as long as your eu member spouse/partner traveling with you.

For more information comment below.
Webgroup e-Commerce Sales Assistant